Drones in the Maldives
A question I am being asked more and more is are you able to fly drones in the Maldives?
Flying a drone is legal in the Maldives. However, drone use in the country of islands is subject to restrictions & a code of conduct. The Maldives do not differentiate between commercial and recreational drone use.
We recommend being fully aware of and compliant with the drone regulations before bringing one one holiday with you.
- To fly a drone in the Maldives you must obtain approval from the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) and a second permit from the Maldives Civil Aviation Authority (MCAA). This needs to be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance, longer is better.
- Fly only during daylight hours and in good weather conditions
- Do not fly above 122 metres (400 feet) above ground level.
- Do not fly over people.
- Do not fly near military installations, power plants, or any other area that could cause concern among local authorities.
- Do not fly near airports or in areas where aircraft are operating.
Because many of the islands have a seaplane port, these islands automatically ban drones. Even if your island of choice is reached by boat, it may well be that the management of the resort will still not allow drones.
Many of the resorts prohibit the flying of drones on the island, as they are a considered as a threat to the privacy of other guests. This takes in to account the fact that most rooms have open air bathrooms and some have secluded back garden bathrooms with hot tubs.
A few of the resorts that do allow drones, but with restrictions are:
These resort may change their rules. As a matter of course it is always worth confirming if a drone can be flown at your chosen resort, before deciding whether to take it with you on your holiday.